Infographic created by Valerie Mattocks
Earlier this year, autoTRADER.ca ran a survey on car culture. And if there’s one thing we learned, it’s that Canadians love to make love in their cars.
Over 1,500 people completed the questionnaire from coast to coast, and the results will surprise, well, about 65% of you. The other 35%, we thank you for your candour but would you mind bleaching the upholstery before we hop in?
That’s not a glass ceiling – it’s a sunroof.
Overall, more men than women owned up to getting down in their ride – and the older the respondent, the larger the gender gap. Only in the 18-24 demographic did the girls outlap the guys.
Naughty, naughty New Brunswick.
Fredericton gets its freak on! Over half the people responding from New Brunswick have had sex in their cars, compared to a mere 26% of Manitoban respondents.
The more cars you own, the more likely you are to have had sex in them.
A whopping 63% of those with 4 cars in their household have fogged up the windows in one of them. Possibly all of them. We sense a fetish brewing…
Speaking of brewing, hot coffee outsteams tepid tea. At least when it comes to steaming up your rear window.
It's official: coffee is the hotter beverage, according to 51% of those who answered "Yes". Only 27% of tea drinkers reported steamy action by the cupholders.
People who like yellow cars really, really like yellow cars.
A full half of the people who preferred yellow paint jobs admitted to car sex.
Silver and grey clocked in as the least sexy shades: only a quarter of those who preferred those colours have had sex in their car. By sheer numbers, however, you can't go wrong with classic black: it was the most popular exterior option regardless of interior atmosphere.
Music to set the mood.
Those who 'fessed up had a distinct predilection for, ahem, faster and harder, at least when it comes to tunes. 38% of people who’ve had sex in their car said they listened to rock and roll most often. Only 3% of the backseat club listened to indie music.
Fantasy fans make their fantasies fact.
Those who prefer shows like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead were far more likely to have gotten frisky in the Ford than fans of dramas or talk shows.
Bigger really is better.
Owners of larger vehicles – minivans, trucks, and SUVs – were more likely to have done the deed in the Dodge than any of the smaller cars (except sports cars, which came in second). We could speculate there’s simply more room to fool around in a minivan... or the extra seats were necessitated by previous backseat shenanigans.
Despite all this, Canadians do have a tiny shred of modesty left.
Only 25% of those who drive convertibles admitted to having sex in their car. We could throw out a cliché about the cold Canadian climate making the convertible a poor choice in which to get nekkid, but there are sidewalks melting in Toronto. We’re going to go ahead and blame the blackflies.
Road rage... in my pants.
Unsurprisingly, those who described their driving styles as calm or cautious were less likely to have risked an embarrassing traffic ticket; of the more aggressive drivers, more than half copped to car sex.
That’s not what we meant by hands-free.
Also unsurprisingly, of those who testified to texting while driving, 63% said they had reached out and touched someone in their car. Let’s hope it was in park at the time.
Grabbing life by the stick... shift.
Automatics reign supreme, with 81% of all respondents preferring the simplicity of a two-pedal set-up. But of those who prefer to row their own, almost half (49%) can attest to having had a full-body experience in their vehicle.
And finally, we come to what is hopefully not a literal silver lining...
For all of you now wondering how sanitary it is to hop into any ol' backseat, we have some good news: of the people who've had sex in their car within the past year, 69% clean their car at least once a month. The bad news? The other 31%.